We have another great piece of writing for you today, since the British press has really raised the bar for the next journalist interviewing LP.
Photo © Michel Comte
After the fine interview LP gave to The Independent, Newsweek follows with another brilliant piece. This one takes us even deeper into LP’s views on current political and social movements, the conditions of the world, and informs us of if she gives a fuck about people wanting to be like her or not.
Tufayel Ahmed managed to lead LP through all different kinds of questions – both exceptional and those asked a thousand times. They resulted, each time, in some in-depth answers, as she allowed him to learn more and more about herself, which doesn’t happen all that often. Tufayel & Newsweek – thank you for that!
✶ Newsweek article: Singer LP on writing a mature break-up ballad, fighting for her right to exist and radical feminism
Some comments from us:
✶ after seven aborted record deals and writing a string of hits for other artists like Rihanna and the Backstreet Boys – LP’s record deals:
- 2001 – Koch-Records (first album, Heart-Shaped Scar)
- 2004 – Lightswitch Records (second album, Suburban Sprawl & Alcohol)
- 2006 – Island Def Jam Music Group (Universal) – major label, they split because of artistic differences – no record
- 2007 – SoBe Entertainment (Universal) – major label, no record
- 2011 – Warner Brothers Records (EP Into The Wild , album Forever For Now )
- 2015 – Vagrant Records (EP Death Valley , album Lost On You )
- 2017 – RCA (part of Sony). New contract signed for America
- 2009 – Primary Wave
- 2010 – 2101 Records
✶ I did a show at Carnegie Hall [in New York], a Paul Simon tribute show – the show took place on March 31st, 2014. LP performed a song “Slip Slidin’ Away.” Here you can read a short article and a full setlist.
✶ We have reality TV to thank for this motherfucker – LP probably means the reality show “The Apprentice,” produced and hosted by Donald Trump since 2004. In the show, participants compete for the title of best businessman. The show, in a way, could have been his training ground for real politics.
✶ Planned Parenthood and all this stuff. How dare you? – on Jan 24th, 2017, Trump signed an executive order to defund Planned Parenthood, which will result in much reduced possibilities.